There is a vibrant junior section in New Ross Golf Club catering for boys and girls from the age of 8 years. Those under 10 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or adult member at all times in the club.
HOURS OF PLAY
Weekdays: Up to 5.30 p.m.and thereafter only if accompanied by parent or adult member.
Weekends/Bank Holdiays: Juniors must be accompanied by parent or adult member (unless playing in a designated competition or holding an adult handicap)
Competitions for junior members are held every Saturday evening (9 hole) and on Tuesday mornings during school holiday periods (tee reserved 9.00 a.m. -
We have a Junior Committee .
Commencing Saturday 3rd March the first session of Junior Golf Ireland Coaching Programme is being run by our Club PGA Professionals, Paul and James. This is a skilled based coaching programme at 2 levels.
Level 1 covers all the nesessary skills required to start play and develop the game of golf for both boys and girls 8 -
Level 2 targets those who have completed level 1 and covers all aspects of the game.
Each level consists of 6 sessions.
It is strongly recommended that all new junior members complete this coaching programme and who knows, we may discover a budding Padraig Harrington or Rory McIlroy in our midst!
HOW TO JOIN
We encourage every child to try golf and we provide a welcoming and fun introduction to the game. Our Junior Committee and Pro’s are all vastly experienced in developing and coaching children of every age.
We suggest that any child interested in starting golf that they first experience what its like to play with others and parents can bring their child to the club on Saturdays at the above times. There is no need to buy any equipment what so ever, as our Pro’s can provide everything that a beginner would need for a small deposit.
After the equipment is organised then is time to practice!! the Safety of everyone is our top priority and this is especially the case for all our Juniors. Our leaders will normally start every child off with Putting. This activity allows children to practice holding a club properly, learning about stability and control while still having the fun of mini golf.
Whats the next step?
Contact out one of our PGA Pro’s and check when the next beginners program is starting. Feel free to ask any questions or join us in the Club at one of our Open days.
Contact Paul or James
10 Reasons to Play Golf
Our junior membership is very important to us at New Ross Golf Club, we invest a lot of time and energy into that section and enjoy doing it very much. There are lots of benefits for children being involved in golf and here are our top ten:
- Enjoy the outdoors: Golf gives young people an opportunity to spend a few hours in fresh air, experiencing all types of flora and fauna.
- Develop lifelong friendshipsYou never know who you will meet on a golf course, and interaction with others allow young people to develop social skills.
- Practice personal responsibilitySometimes the ball doesn’t always bounce your way, but regardless of the outcome, there is no blaming your teammates for what happens.
- Have a safe place to playThe golf course is a safe place and facilitates mentoring relationships in a safe environment.
- Learn to manage your emotionsGolf closely parallels real life as one experiences the highs and lows of the game. The range of experience, from birdies to triple bogeys, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand.
- Appreciate diversityGolf is a game that can be played for a lifetime by anyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, size or skill level.
- Prepare for businessGolf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas.
- Learn etiquetteYoung people should play golf because it is based on characteristics that are too often missing in today’s win-at-all-costs society. Golf places an emphasis on etiquette. In golf there is no judge or referee; instead, players govern themselves and fellow competitors.
- Spend time with familyGolf is a game that encourages family participation. It’s an activity that everyone can enjoy together and brings the family together in a shared passion.
- Develop healthy habits for lifeWith the youth obesity epidemic in our country, golf is a sport that helps young people get off the couch. When you play golf, walking the golf course and carrying your bag, a six stone person burns 250 calories and walks more than 10,000 steps.