Men’s Results & News – Nov 22nd
Winter League Round 1 – 14h S’ford
1st – Pat Whelan (17) – 35 pts
2nd – Francis Coughlan (17) – 32 pts
3rd – Harry Doran (11) – 31 pts
Gross – Robbie Farrell – 26 pts
Cat 1 – Declan Harford (6) – 28 pts
Cat 2 – Jimmy Furlong (12) – 30 pts
Cat 3 – Murth Hogan (24) – 30 pts (last 9)
(Pat Whelan will carry 2 shots and Francis Coughlan will carry 1 shot for the remaining rounds)
Men’s Upcoming Competitions
Tue 24th on – Christmas Turkeys (see note below)
Sun 29th – Winter League Round 2 (Saturday tee times available)
Sat 5th & Sun 6th – Open Fourball
The Christmas Turkey competitions begin this Tuesday, November 24th. The format is a 9h stableford competition. The entry fee is €3 for 9 holes and you can play either nine. You can enter as many times as you like. There will be a prize winner for every 30 entrants. You must enter by paying the entry fee and putting your name in the book before commencing your round.
Thank you to all those who attending the Men’s AGM on Friday night. Congratulations to Captain Rory & President Seamus on a very successful year and best wishes to incoming Captain Derek Ronan & President Owen Conway for the year ahead!
Joint Club AGM
The Joint Club AGM takes place on Friday December 4th at 8pm sharp. It is important that members take this opportunity to contribute to the good running of the club. All those attending are politely asked to turn up in time so that the meeting can start without delay.
Quick Guide to the Rules
Over the next few weeks, the weekly email will include a reminder of some of the basics of the rules of golf – never any harm to brush up on this very important aspect of the game. All the information is taken from the R&A’s Quick Guide to the Rules (see the link below for further information)
The game of golf should be played in the correct spirit and to understand this you should read the Etiquette Section in the Rules of Golf. In particular:
– show consideration to other players
– play at a good pace and be ready to invite faster moving groups to play through, and
– take care of the course by smoothing bunkers, replacing divots and repairing ball marks on the greens.
Before starting your round you are advised to:
– read the Local Rules on the score card and the notice board
– put an identification mark on your ball; many golfers play the same brand of ball and if you can’t identify your ball, it is considered lost (Rules 12-2 and 27-1)
– count your clubs; you are allowed a maximum of 14 clubs. (Rule 4-4).
During the round:
– don’t ask for “advice” from anyone except your partner (i.e. a player on your side) or your caddies; don’t give advice to anyone except your partner; you may ask for information on the Rules, distances and the position of hazards, the flagstick, etc. (Rule 8-1)
– don’t play any practice shots during play of a hole. (Rule 7-2)
– don’t use any artificial devices or unusual equipment, unless specifically authorised by Local Rule (Rule 14-3).
More next week!
Paying your subscription
Why not get a head start on paying next year’s subscription by paying via your card at the bar. You can pay any amount in advance, and you can pay whenever you want. Please contact Anthony in the bar for further details.
Planning a Christmas Party???
If you’re planning a Christmas Party, the Golf Club is now taking bookings. Here’s a taste of the Christmas Menu:
Starters: Winter Vegetable Soup/ Chicken & Mushroom Vol Au Vent/ Goujons of Plaice
Mains: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding/ Roast Stuffed Turkey & Ham/ Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce (all served with Potatoes & Vegetables)
Desserts: Christmas Pudding with Brandy sauce/ Baileys Cheesecake/ Death by Chocolate
For further information please contact a member of the Bar & Catering Team.